Director, School Partnerships Coach Job Description
Flamboyan Foundation seeks a collaborative, outcomes-oriented School Partnerships Coach who will manage a portfolio of Family Engagement Partner public and public charter schools in Washington, D.C. The ideal candidate brings a successful track record as an educator, strong project management skills, coaching and training experience, and on-the-ground experience using family engagement to accelerate student learning.
Currently in our sixth year of operation in D.C., Flamboyan works closely with public and public charter schools, as well as several teacher and leader preparation programs, to build the capacity of school leaders and teachers to implement effective family engagement practices. We are looking for a mission-driven team member to help us scale our impact with these schools by supporting school leaders and educators to build relationships with families, communicate with them throughout the year, and partner with them around their children’s academic success.
The School Partnerships Coach position offers an incredible opportunity to work in a growing, entrepreneurial, and collaborative environment that is working to change the culture of how D.C. families and educators partner on behalf of students. This position reports to the Managing Director of Coaching at Flamboyan Foundation in Washington, D.C. Its start date is July 1, 2017, or sooner, depending on candidate availability.
Coach and train principals and teacher leaders
- Ensure leaders at each school are providing teachers with the guidance and support they need to implement the partnership’s family engagement practices with quality;
- Use data and program rubrics to determine areas of strength and growth for partner schools and use this information to facilitate goal-setting and action-planning with school leaders;
- Provide concrete feedback, suggestions, and support to help school leaders meet Measures of Success and maximize the impact of the work;
- Guide school leaders to plan and manage partnership activities and deliverables on time and with quality;
- Advise school leaders on planning and improving family engagement training, practice, observation-feedback, and debrief sessions with teachers at their school; and
- Facilitate meeting and observation opportunities for school leaders from different schools to learn and share together.
Coach and train teachers
- Facilitate or co-facilitate family engagement training, practice, observation-feedback, and debrief sessions with teachers;
- Deeply understand the barriers teachers face to engaging families and generate creative solutions to help them overcome those barriers; and
- Identify teachers at each partner school who excel at effectively engaging families and/or are passionate about the work and support them to share their expertise and lessons learned with others.
Coordinate and support design of program supports
- Serve as Flamboyan’s lead point of contact with school leaders and teachers in each assigned partner school;
- Develop expertise in family engagement and the family engagement strategies supported at partner schools;
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of the Family Engagement Partnership’s overall design and approach;
- Act as conduit for Flamboyan communication and guidance about operations, evaluation, program improvements, etc. for partner schools;
- As needed, liaise with staff at Charter Management Organizations and/or D.C. Public Schools;
- Share learning with Flamboyan team members and develop and recommend improvements to the work; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Minimum of 4 years relevant professional experience
- Teaching experience in an urban setting required, with education experience in Washington, D.C., preferred
- Teacher leadership or instructional coaching experience required, with experience in school leadership or principal coaching preferred
- Experience using family engagement to improve student outcomes required, with experience in parent-teacher home visits and Academic Parent Teacher Teams preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to drive change in others without a direct reporting relationship
- Training and meeting facilitation skills
- Skills in project management in a team environment
- High standard of quality and attention to detail
- Passion for family engagement
- Ability to take initiative and chart a path forward in circumstances that are ambiguous or have competing priorities
- Excellent and concise communicator, both in writing and in speaking
- Ability to identify outcomes and backwards-planning from those outcomes, including ability to design programs and/or approaches to meet desired results
- Ability to analyze problems and identify solutions independently and collaboratively
- Good sense of humor, diplomatic, and cooperative spirit
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, changing environment
Salary is based upon experience and includes a complete benefits package.
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on an on-going basis until the position is filled. Applicants should include the words “School Partnerships Coach” in the subject line of the email.
Flamboyan Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Flamboyan Foundation
Flamboyan Foundation envisions a day when children in Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico receive a world-class education. To make this vision a reality, Flamboyan brings strategic leadership and investment of time and money to solve some of the most deeply rooted educational challenges. We study the issues and work with our partners to develop creative solutions and put ideas into practice. We constantly learn from our experiences and adapt our work accordingly. The cornerstone of Flamboyan’s approach is hands-on, purposeful collaboration with nonprofits, school districts, educators, government and community leaders who share our commitment to and focus on achieving ambitious results to improve children’s learning.
In Washington, D.C., we are working to improve student outcomes by transforming the way families and educators work together. Research consistently shows family engagement accelerates student learning. However, districts, schools and teachers often do not know how to best partner with families and provide the information and support needed to help children succeed. We work with educators and other partners to learn about the most effective approaches to family engagement. We then build the capacity of teachers, school leaders and districts by providing the training, resources and on-the-ground support they need. We also invest in education advocacy efforts that enable families to attain the best possible public education for their children.
For more information, please visit www.flamboyanfoundation.org.