Back to School with JOY
Community Grant Initiative
Back to School with JOY
We are investing $100,000 in joyful experiences as schools reconnect with families, build relationships, listen, and create an authentic and welcoming environment for their community.
About the Initiative
- → Infuse joy and creativity into building relationships with families and promoting welcoming environments for students and families within the classroom and the larger school community;
- → Promote joy and creativity in academic and social-emotional activities within the classroom; and/or
- → Leverage creativity to listen to families and incorporate their perspectives into the operations of the school in a way that creates joyful experiences for families, and celebrates, honors, and values the assets they bring.
Frequently Asked Questions
DC public and public charter schools are eligible to apply. Additionally, community-based organizations that support DC public or public charter schools are eligible to co-apply with schools.
Priority will be given to schools with an at-risk student population above 70% as well as schools located in Wards 7 and 8, current and graduated FEP partners, and the community-based organizations that work closely with them.
DC public and public charter schools are invited to apply for school-based grants up to $2,500 to build relationships with and creatively welcome students and families back to school with joy, love, learning, community connection, fun, and care.
DC Community-Based Organizations are eligible to co-apply for school-based grants in amounts up to $5,000 to support schools with engaging their school communities in fun and creative ways that promote joy and connection. If you are a CBO, you are eligible to apply for up to $2,500 to support one school or up to $5,000 to support multiple schools.
Before beginning the application, please review this document for the complete list of application materials and questions. We recommend saving your materials in a separate place before completing the application.
Yes! In that case, we recommend schools co-apply with a community-based organization they work closely with. If that is not an option, we will be able to support getting funds to your school directly via a Flamboyan partner organization. This process may add an additional 3-4 weeks, depending on the procurement request.
Grants can be used for the following purposes:
- Infusing joy and creativity into building relationships with families and promoting welcoming environments for students and families within the classroom and the larger school community;
- Promoting joy and creativity in academic and social-emotional activities within the classroom; and/or
- Leveraging creativity to listen to families and incorporate their perspectives into the operations of the school in a way that creates joyful experiences for families, and celebrates, honors, and values the assets they bring.
Typeform automatically saves your responses for 15 days if you’re (1) using the same device and browser and (2) are not filling out the application in a Private or Incognito browser. Again, we encourage you to save your application materials in a separate place before loading them into the Typeform.
Grant decisions are made by evaluating the alignment of the grant vision to one or more of the three grant purposes. If there is alignment, the grant review team will consider the intended impact of the grant to promote joy in family engagement. Schools where the majority of the student population is at-risk will receive priority.
Once your grant application is selected, your school or organization will have 72 hours to confirm all ACH and/or payment information and sign the contract. Once the contract is finalized, grant awards will be issued within 2 weeks. Grant issue dates will take place on Oct 15th, Oct 30th or Nov 15th depending on when the application is received, and the award contract is finalized.
There are a few additional factors that affect the speed at which funds become available:
- If you are a DC public charter school: the grant award will be sent directly to the school.
- If you are a DC public school with a 501(c)(3): the grant award will be sent directly to 501(c)(3).
- If you are a community-based organization co-applying with a school: the grant award will be sent directly to the applying CBO.
- If you are a DC public school without a 501(c)(3): the grant award will be sent directly either:
- To your chosen community partner, or
- To a Flamboyan partner organization