From families to school districts to lawmakers, across the nation we are navigating how to operate virtually with students learning at home. With summer break upon us, ensuring students are ready for a strong start of school in the face of the unknown is critical. During these unprecedented times, educators and families must be true allies in education to ensure all students succeed and all families feel supported. At Flamboyan we believe that practicing REAL Family Engagement has never been more important. Read on for a curated list of trusted Resources and Reads for ideas, guidance, and tools to support meaningful family engagement now and moving forward.
This page will be updated on an ongoing basis. Have a resource and/or read you’d like to share? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
As mentioned in our Statement of Solidarity, Flamboyan is choosing to be an anti-racist organization by doubling down on our longstanding commitment to confronting injustice, disrupting bias within our own organization and within our work, and honoring the dignity and value of people. Our efforts to create real and meaningful family engagement in schools and school systems across the country are grounded in seeing people, knowing people, and loving people for who they are. If you’re looking for places to begin or continue your anti-racist journey, consider visiting some of these trusted sources.
JULY 2020 —————————————————————————————————————————-
While educators may be on “summer break” for the month of the July, we have focused our Resources on tools that teachers, leaders, and districts can share with families.
- THE 74 MILLION: Your Child’s Education, Explained is a channel to help families better understand and engage with their child’s school.
- LEARNING HEROES: Anti-racism resource directory for families, sorted by age group.
- EDNAVIGATOR: Resource bundle for parents to support summer learning.
Amid the stress and uncertainty of the upcoming school year, we are highlighting teachers’ successes and strategies during distance learning.
- CHALKBEAT: Learn how a NYC music teacher creatively connected with students during distance learning.
- EDSURGE: A learning designer shares advice about creating emotionally connected online learning experiences.
- THE 74 MILLION: Educators and advocates share what parts of remote learning and in-person teaching work best.
- EDSURGE: Edtech researchers share guidance for how schools and districts can choose the right tools to support SEL learning.
JUNE 2020 —————————————————————————————————————————-
- NAFSCE: A growing list of resources for Practitioners, Educators, and Families in response to the coronavirus crisis.
- CAMPAIGN FOR GRADE-LEVEL READING: The 2020 GLR Week is a call to action called the Learning Loss Recovery Challenge, from July 13-17.
- EDSURGE: A secondary distance learning schedule developed with brain science research.
- FLAMBOYAN FOUNDATION: Getting Started with REAL Family Engagement during Distance Learning, and Strategies to Engage Unreached Families during COVID-19.
- FLAMBOYAN FOUNDATION: Spanish read alouds of beloved texts by the Flamboyan team in Puerto Rico.
- THE 74 MILLION: In the Face of American ‘Truth Decay,’ Polls Shed Light on How Much Families Are Hurting During COVID-19
- FLAMBOYAN FOUNDATION: Recording of the “Listen, Learn, Lead: Community Reflections during COVID-19” webinar.
- FLAMBOYAN FOUNDATION: The Shifting Perspectives column features staff and community member stories.
MAY 2020 —————————————————————————————————————————-
- A list of resources for DC families from Parents Amplifying Voices in Education (PAVE).
- A growing list of resources from PTHV to support home visit practitioners as they navigate social distancing and stay-at-home orders.
- Survey questions developed by TNTP to give school system leaders regular updates on how key stakeholders are experiencing the shift to at-home learning.
- A video from New America with strategies to engage families and support youngsters, dual language learners, and those living in under-resourced communities.
- Tips and resources for helping parents cope with kids at home – written by parents! – from EdNavigator.
- A checklist for building relationships with students during COVID-19, especially secondary students, from the Search Institute.
- EDSOURCE: Why distance learning is a success in one California district
- THE EQUITY LAB: Let’s Not Go Back to the Way Things Were
- THE HECHINGER REPORT: A coronavirus case study: What has happened when campuses shut down for other disasters?
- THE 74 MILLION: Despite ‘COVID Slide’ Concerns, Most Educators Oppose Extending Upcoming School Year to Stave Off Negative Effects
- THE 74 MILLION : A collection of opinion pieces from students